AR 5
Creating a Curriculum Page
I will admit this freely, I have no earthly clue what I was doing when I finished reading the weekly assignment module. I actually waited until now to see examples of others first before I dove into creating my own page. I’m still not 100% sure that I’ve got it all done (but I figure I can tweak it and not get into too much trouble between now and the end of the semester). And yet, I am now the proud owner of a Wiki Curriculum page… YAY for me!
It’s in Spanglish if you must know, but I’ve translated the important parts to English for my future students (the EME class is pretending to be them… correct?). I’ve got graphics, text, and web links! I’m so proud of myself; it’s hard to believe it only took me about 3 hours in the dead of the night to get it done.
But I digress. This activity reflection is regarding how my experience went… so here we go. (Just so everyone is clear, I’m using Wikispaces.com)
It was awful! I apparently did NOT follow directions well, and did half the page wrong the first time. Turns out I was not creating new pages, but renaming my pages to different titles. So if you clicked on HOME you got my page on lesson plans, or if you clicked introduction you got my reference page. It was terrible. I then tried to use the help feature to fix it. It was useless! I couldn’t make heads or tails of what I had done, so fixing it was out of the question. After about 30 min. of this frustrating experience I decided it wasn’t worth it, and chucked my whole page worth of work and started a new one.
This was MUCH better. I already knew what I wanted to write, and how I wanted to format each page. And I had already uploaded my pictures/clip art to the wiki platform (which so nicely keeps this handy for you). To be honest the hardest part of the uploading process was getting my Wordle (wordle.com) page to be saved as a .JIF (you have to do a screen shot, and fix it with paint, save it, finally upload it). The rest of the images I found using Iclip and Google’s free clip art search. [I would like it noted I’m integrating tons of stuff here.]
I did go ahead and fill in some of the pages that I created, since I had either a) already done the work for it, or b) found it really easy to fill in. Therefore you can clearly see completed the following pages: home, introduction, digital resources, and my rubric (I have a rubric tool, it’s amazing and it’s at: rubistar.4teachers.org - use it well). This still leaves the lesson plan/standards page, and my example to do. But this gives me time to spell check (accents won’t show on the wiki and I’m sure I’ve made mistakes), and tweak portions of the Curriculum page as I see fit.
So after another hour or so of this, I feel like I’ve accomplished what I needed to do for this week’s work. So, without further a due, I give you my Curriculum Page … please review!!
I can’t tell you how relieved I was to see your first paragraph. I, too, had no idea what I was supposed to complete for this week’s assignment. I tried to hold out and wait until others had posted some examples before I started, just as you did. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one!
ReplyDeleteWith regard to, [I]“chucked my whole page worth of work and started a new one.” How funny! I did the same thing. I tried to set my wiki up with PBWorks but no matter what I tried, I ran into problems. After about an hour, I gave up and tried Wikispaces instead. The process was so much easier from there.
And thank you, Alex, for the great rubric tool (rubistar.4teachers.org) suggestion. I bookmarked that site to use for the future.