Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Imaginary classrooms in Z school

Reading Reaction Z - Week 7


My computer background:


After reading chapter 4 in our book, I found it to be helpful in reminding me of some options for the peripheral hardware and the upgrades in USB technology/capacity; but overall I’m pretty familiar with the inner workings of a computer.  I’ve built or rebuilt several desktops over the years; either due to a need to upgrade or to save some money.  I also seem to be beyond the basic level of help offered by the ‘help line’ of the computer assistance… the last few times I’ve called they’ve had to transfer me to a specialist in California (so there is the bonus of no strong accents to decipher).  Even then it was a waste of time and I had to just crash and re-install the OS on the desktop (luckily we have two external backup drives at home so nothing was lost).  I have been known to upgrade the RAM, add a TV card, upgrade the modem (forever ago when you used one), and a fan; but I’ve never messed with the processor.


 I also set up the wireless network in our home to include the two laptops, the desk top, and the Wii having internet access and networked all 3 computers so that I can access data from any of the PCs on the one I’m currently on.  This is very convenient when I’m uploading pictures and they are still on the desktop or they are on one of the backup drives.  My husband also finds this a very convenient option when he wants to upgrade the fuel ratios on his car (the second laptop) and wants to save the run results on the desktop for further analysis.  I am by no means an expert on hardware and software, but I’ve mastered the basics and when I do run into a wall it’s usually something major that requires a lot of help – or a new computer! 


The cool imaginary classroom:


This is what my classroom computer has.  It’s a Dell laptop, it was purchased not too long ago to help facilitate my moving from room to room inside the school.  As a Spanish teacher, and the newest member of the staff I don’t have my own classroom yet.  But the school was great at providing me with a good mobile ‘desk’.    


Operating System:  Windows Vista, Home Premium. Processing Speed: Pentium-R, Dual CPU, T4200 @2.00 GHz.  Memory (RAM): 2 GB. Screen Resolution: 1366 x 768, 32 bits of color. Video Card: Generic PnP Monitor on Mobile Intel ® 4 Series Express Chipset Family. Removable Media Options:  1 network cable port, 1 monitor/peripheral port, 3 USB ports, 1 DVD/DVRW, 1 SD card reader slot, microphone and head phone jacks. 


As far as the software acquisition for my classroom, my principal has given me the funds and I have decided to purchase: Kids Spanish, published by Promotions.  The program is available at a reasonable price with all the options from www.k12software.com.  This program is a great way to introduce concepts to my students and has many interactive tools to keep my students engaged in their learning.  The program has the following requirements according to the web site:




















 
   
   
   

Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista; 486 or better processor; 16 MB RAM; 10 MB free hard disk space; 640x480 monitor, 256 colors; 16-bit sound card & speakers; Microphone (not included); CD-ROM drive. 


My computer has the right Operating System and processor.  I have plenty of RAM and hard disk space, I can adjust the monitor settings and the sound card is up to speed.  I have a microphone from my mobile class cart, and the CD-ROM is ready to roll.  Installation was relatively easy.  


My first real concern was my microphone not being up to date, but the USB worked just fine on the backwards compatible USB 2.0 on my computer (as mentioned in Ch. 4 of our book).  This allowed my students to be able to pronounce and practice along with the software (one of its best features) and pass the microphone around so that everyone could have an equal opportunity to participate. 


I was also able to use a USB cable to hook-up my computer to the classroom projector.  That way I was able to project the image from my screen onto the whiteboard in the classroom.  My only real problem was adjusting the screen resolution, my highest available setting (where it normally resides) made the screen too small, and I had to adjust it so as to make it viewable to the students from their seats easily.  This took a bit of time and tweaking, but I was finally able to get it to fit the whiteboard and be viewable for everyone. 


I am very excited about the possibilities this program gives to my students for introduction of new material, as well as review of material before their unit tests.  Plus, the voice practice options available with the microphone are a great way to do practical tests on their pronunciation and sentence construction in a low anxiety environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment